Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Talahi Elementary- Day 5

I am beginning to love the kids in my classroom. I think the hardest part of teaching will be letting go of the students at the end of each school year.

I had a blast this morning with the kids. They got to play in the snow and do a bunch of different stations. It seems like we do 10 times as much as we ever did the 1st few days.

I have been working with a young boy lately who is a bit behind the rest of the students. It was a challenge at first but I think I finally am beginning to understand him. For example he has no idea how to write his own name. He will pick up the pencil and pull away if you try to help him. However he will just sit there because he doesn't know how to do it. If you ask him if he needs help he will look at you and shake his head. I have never seen him smile as much as we did today. He is really good at using the scissors but holds them backwards and it his left hand. It looks quite uncomfortable but he gets the job done. He didn't know how to glue to that was my job. The rest of the day he was patting my back whenever I was by him.

We did a big art project creating a snowman out of strips of paper. I was laughing just about every 5 minutes because there was a young boy named Armani (My favorite shh don't tell) who made his so big there was no room for the rest of the snowman's body. He kept blaming it on me and saying, "Ms. S, I can't do it, if you do it for me I won't tell anybody." It was pretty funny because he would look up at me with a huge grin like it would actually work. We had to about double the size of his snowman to make the head and top hat fit. He then looked up at me and said, "Now look what you did, how's this suppose to fit in my backpack." It was pretty darn cute.

That's all for today! Wish me luck getting up and out of my room by 7am tomorrow again. It feels like it only gets harder and harder as we are nearing the end of our immersion!

1 Comments:

At March 3, 2008 at 10:17 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

I find it really interesting about how feel like it is less of a challenge to cope with difficult students once you know them better. It causes me to wonder about when we become teachers. It is clearly an essential and necessary aspect of teaching, to create a closeness with each and every student but how does one exactly accomplish this? At the beginning of the year do you focus more on getting to know the kids or on the facts and information that they need to learn throughout the year? Can students learn when the feel as if they have no connection with their teacher? How important is that connection on a larger scale of it all?
Also, how does a teacher help that student, who refuses help, and still accomodate to the rest of the class? If there is no support staff in the class room, how does a teacher balance one from the whole?

Something that my urban immersion teacher pointing out to me comes to my attention when I read that you laughed when the boy made his snowman too big. She told me that she could see that I enjoyed the children but wondered if they felt as if I was laughing AT them isntead of simply being amused and finding love for them. It causes me to wonder how to show children that you appreciate them and care for them without sending mixed signals. (I wasn't attacking you by any means I was just thinking outloud!! :) )

I'm glad that you are having a good time!! I love kindergarten as well!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home